Asha welcomes volunteers from all over the world, regardless of their skills or the length of time that they have to spare. The remarkable successes that we want to share with you from the past year could not have been achieved without their support. With such assistance, we are seeing amazing progress in the ability of slum dwellers and their communities to lift themselves out of poverty. With changing attitudes among Delhi’ urban poor and investment in education, we believe the next generation will have the power and opportunities to take control of their future.
Types of voluntary work
You can apply to volunteer for a few days, a few weeks, a few months or even longer. The Asha programme presents different opportunities for volunteers according to their length of stay, interests and skill sets.
Many volunteers wonder what type of work they will be doing. In assigning work to volunteers, Asha takes into account cultural and language differences. Here are a few examples of ways that non-Hindi speaking volunteers can contribute to Asha:
• Conduct training workshops for community members groups or project staff on a practical topic related to healthcare, empowerment, education, environment or financial inclusion (e.g. good local business practices, good studying habits for college students)
• Beautify an Asha slum Community Centre (e.g. bringing a team to paint a centre) or Fundraise and organise an environmental initiative (e.g. work with a community group to clean up a particular slum area)
If you are looking to volunteer for one month or more:
• Teach English to children and young people in one of our slum projects
• Conduct activities for youth and women’s groups that encourage learning and empowerment (e.g. form a study group with students preparing for college, hold self-defense training for young women)
• Spend some days observing medical practices at Asha clinics and gain exposure to Indian public health scenarios
If you want to conduct a research study or project, please send the details of your request and a brief of your proposed research, including details of your institution or organisation, along with your volunteer application form as per details given below.
Applying is easy
If you’re interested in volunteering for Asha, just click here to download a copy of our application form and then send the completed version to our headquarters in Delhi. If you are able to add a photo electronically, then you can email the form to email@example.com.
During your stay
After application, volunteers are provided with a preparation pack. It includes contact information, policies, travel information, a culture and shopping guide, and information on health and security. The pack is extremely comprehensive, catering for those who have never visited a country like India before. On arrival, visitors can go on local sightseeing trips and are advised on possible weekend excursions. This helps them get acquainted with the country, its people and culture. We’re happy to help you find suitable accommodation for your stay, and ask that you contact us with any queries or concerns you might have during the planning stage or the stay itself. When you are volunteering with Asha health advice is always available from our doctors.
Funding for your trip
We ask all our volunteers to donate or raise funds towards the work of Asha before joining us. After we have received your application we will ask you to try and raise some money towards Asha’s projects by whatever methods suit you best. This does not need to be a daunting prospect as we are available to assist you with your efforts. Our Fundraising page may also give you some initial ideas.